Sagamore - Nurse's Office
Phone (631) 696-8600, ext. 3949 and 3950
Fax (631) 696-8647
For students with last names A-L Mrs. Angela Semler, R.N. Ext. 3949
For students with last names M-Z Mr. John Hummel, R.N. Ext. 3950
Sports physicals will be offered free of charge at Sagamore Middle School on Tuesday, June 6 starting at 2:40 PM. Students can take the late bus home or get picked up when their physical is completed.
See the attached notice with links to the Physical forms that need to be completed by the parent/guardian. The physical covers all seasons next year (Fall, Winter, Spring).
Students in grades 7-8 are eligible to participate in sports with the exception of Arrowettes which is grades 6-8.
Middle School Health Requirements:
ALL students entering 6th grade MUST have proof of a TDaP vaccine, if your doctor refuses to give this vaccine until your child is 11 years old, you must provide proof of an appointment from your MD’s office.
ALL 7th grade students must have a Meningitis vaccine prior to the first day of school.
ALL 7th grade students must submit a completed physical exam by a physician on the required NYS School Health Examination Form.
All 7th graders are required to have vision and hearing screenings (which should be done at physical with MD). If it is not done at the physical, it will be done in school.
ALL 7th grade girls are required to have a scoliosis screening. If not done by their primary MD, it will be done during school.
If your child requires ANY medication during school hours it is MANDATORY that the school form: Permission to Administer Single Medication be filled out as a hospital order and signed and stamped BY THE PHYSICIAN. Parent MUST also sign the form in indicated areas as well.
**NO STUDENTS ARE PERMITTED TO SELF CARRY/ SELF ADMINISTER ANY MEDICATION UNLESS INDICATED BY THE PHYSICIAN AND PARENT ON THIS FORM. **
ALL students who want to participate in sports MUST have a current completed NYS School Health Examination Form AND the Sachem Central School District Athletic Participation Form (APF) fully completed and signed by parent & student.
ALSO, students must be signed up/registered in FINAL FORMS.
Parent/student must complete questionnaires/forms and sign as well.
STUDENTS WILL NOT BE CLEARED UNTIL EVERYTHING IS SIGNED AND UPDATED WITH EACH SPORT.
*** Additional Notes***
ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE A PASS TO COME TO THE NURSE’S OFFICE
ALL STUDENTS USING CRUTCHES MUST HAVE AN MD ORDER TO USE IN SCHOOL
Health Services Forms
SPORTS PHYSICALS FAQ’s
1. What does my child need to try out for a sport?
* For their first sport season of the year, the district needs a current sports physical
on file with the school nurse.
* Physicals are valid for one calendar year.
* The physicals MUST be on a Sachem Sport Physical Form and MUST be
completed and signed by the healthcare provider, as well as the parent/guardian.
* For each subsequent sport during that school year that the student would like to
participate in, a “green card” (medical update form) needs to be completed and
signed by the parent/guardian and student and returned to the school nurse.
* If your child submits a current physical in September, but does not try out for a
sport until the winter or spring season, the parent/guardian will need to complete
a green card for the student’s first sport.
2. Where can my child get the forms they need for sports?
* All forms are available from the school nurse.
* The forms can also be printed from the district website: www.sachem.edu
Click on “Departments”, then select “Athletics”
3. My child was told the sports physical form was not complete. What is needed for it
to be complete and for my child to be cleared to participate?
* There are several sections on the sports physical form. Please be sure that the
physician included all items on the physical form including the date of exam,
height, weight, blood pressure, BMI, urinalysis, signature and type of sports
student is physically able to participate in (contact/collision, limited
contact/impact, strenuous/non-contact, etc..)
* The parent/guardian needs to complete the top portion of the front (name,
address, date of birth, etc..)
* The back page contains two sections that the parent/guardian completes: Health
history & Risk Acknowledgement, as well as a signature required.
* If any portion is not complete, the school nurse is not able to process the form
until it is complete.
* If the child has not been participating in PE/sports due to a prior injury or illness,
they must provide written medical clearance to participate.
4. When do the forms need to be returned to the school nurse?
* The school nurse will set a deadline date for each sport season. This information
will be announced at school. It is typically one week before the first day of
* Please note the deadline date, as there may be several hundred student-athletes
* It is the responsibility of the school nurse to verify all forms are complete and up to
date before clearing the student-athlete for tryouts.
5. Why does it take 24 hours to process sport forms?
* The school nurses have the responsibility of taking care of many students
throughout the normal school day. They require adequate time to process the
sport forms and review the child’s health history.
* The school nurse and coaches make sure that announcements are made and
meetings are planned well in advance of the start of the sport to give students
enough time to return the forms to the school nurse in a timely manner.
6. Where can I find out when the sport seasons start?
* The first day of the sport seasons are indicated on the school calendar.
* The school nurse also puts the information on the school web page.
7. Are physicals given in school for sports participation?
* Yes. Sports physicals are given in each secondary building every June, free of
charge, for the following school year. There will be several “School Messenger”
phone calls made reminding parents/guardians and students of these physicals.
You can also check the district website for more information.
* Students may also opt to go to their regular primary care physician for a sports
8. How do I submit sports physical forms during the summer?
* Please visit the Sachem website for exact times and dates the nurses will be
available during the summer. www.sachem.edu Click “Departments”, then select
* The physical forms can only be dropped off to the school nurse during the hours
* The forms cannot be mailed or submitted to anyone other than the school nurse.
* The main office cannot accept sports physical forms.
* No sports physicals are provided during the summer.