Sachem North High School
Honor Societies Links
|REQUIREMENTS FOR THE NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETIES
National Honor Society Policy/Guidelines
Selection of potential students for membership is based on the four standards set forth by the National Honor Society. These standards Scholarship, Service, Leadership and Character are outlined below.
Scholarship eligibility requires a minimum overall weighted grade point average of a 90% and no course failures. Once a student has been inducted as a member, he/she must maintain this 90% grade point average to continue membership in addition to fulfilling the service, leadership and character standards set by the NHS and Sachem.
III. Leadership, Character & Activities:
Each candidate must present a minimum of 2 school-based activities (clubs/sports). Keep in mind SYAG, Dance, Honor Societies etc. do not satisfy this requirement. Eligible students will be rated by their teachers, activity advisors and community supervisors on character and leadership based on their performance.
Each candidate must demonstrate his/her willingness and ability to be of service to their school and community. A total of 30 community service hours are required and can be completed beginning in the 9th grade through the present time of eligibility. Service does not include any activities for which the student received pay or compensation for performing the task.
Selection of students for membership is the responsibility of the Faculty Council Board. This board consists of faculty members appointed by the administrator and the National Honor Society Advisors, who serve as ex-officio members and do not have a part in the actual selection of candidates. Names of Faculty Council members are confidential as set by the National Honor Society.
Current 10th Grade Service Clarifications
National Art Honor Society
- High School Student grades 10th, 11th, or 12th
- Must have completed 1 semester of art at Sachem North
- Minimum of a B average maintained throughout the school year
Member may remain active when there is no art class on their schedule
Students home-schooled full time which meet all other requirements may be considered for NAHS membership
New students to our school who are active NAHS members will be permitted to join our school chapter
Business & Marketing Honor Society
Current enrollment in business/ marketing (fall and/or spring)
- Sophomores & Juniors must complete 1 credit (2 semester or 1 full course) year by the end of the current school year
- Seniors must complete 1 ½ credits by the end of the school year
On The Job Work Experience and Office Work Experience (OWE) cannot be included
- Business/Marketing Courses-average of 88%
- Overall Average-80%
- Demonstrate your character, leadership and service
8 hours of community service before induction in April
- Teacher recommendations ( 4)
- Attendance at the monthly meetings
- Must complete 20 service hours during the school year this includes tutoring, club activities, charity work, or volunteer work.
Foreign Language Honor Society
- Available to students through application at the end of their sophomore year
- Must have completed at least 1 year of a World Language course.
- Students must have a minimum average of a 93 in a language course and a minimum of 88 in all other courses.
- Members may remain active when there is a language class on their schedule.
After inducted to remain a member
- Students must attend monthly meetings and accumulate their annual minimum point for honors acknowledgement.
Math Honor Society:
- Overall Weighted Average of 85
- Math Weighted Average of 90 in each math course
- Must be enrolled in Algebra II or higher to apply
- Must have taken one AP or honors math course
After inducted to remain a member:
- Students must complete 10 hours of math community service hours including 1 hour of math competition, 2 hours of tutoring or assisting a math teacher, 1 hour of volunteering for a Math Honor Society event
- Attend Math Honor Society meetings
- Continue taking a math course
- Maintain Overall Weighted Average of 85 and Math Weighted Average of 90 in each math course
National History Honor Society
- Must have completed 2 AP History Courses
- Must Have a 90 or better weighted average and an 88 overall average.
- Must attend all Meetings
National Technical Honor Society
- Have an unweighted GPA of 80 or above in all other classes
- Have 2 CTE credits
- Have an average of a 90 in CTE coarse
- Get one teacher letter of recommendation
- Must attend 5 or more meetings
- Must complete 5 or more hours of community service
- Complete and return the application paper on time
- Attend induction ceremony
Science National Honor Society
- Sophomores, Junior, Seniors class members
- Must have completed prior to induction at least 2 honors or upper level science courses
- Final transcript grades: Unweighted averages
90 average in each Science Course
85 average in all other courses
- 2 Recommendations; One must be from science
teacher from a full year course
After inducted to remain a member
- 8 hours of community service specific to this honor society
- Enrollment in a science course until graduation
The Fathers' Club would like to thank the following businesses for their support:
- A.M. Fuel
- Ginny Santangelo's Dance Center
- Elite Nails
- Crystal Garden Chinese Buffet
- Mama Cucina's Pizzeria and Ristorante
- China Jade Chinese Take-Out
- Anna's Pizzeria
- Chapman's Florist Headcutters
- Liberty Tax Service
- H&A Stationary
Facilitate the understanding and cooperation between fathers of high school students, teachers, administrators, parents, and the community of Sachem North and the Sachem School District. Provide opportunities for fathers and high school students to be brought closer in a spirit of better understanding and cooperation. The influence that fathers have is significant, serving as advisors, role models, and mentors. The Fathers' Club, through activities such as fundraising, seminars, and various projects, will provide an environment for this very special relationship to strengthen and grow.
Annual Dues will be voluntary in contribution, as just participating in this group will be the best donation for our cause that one can give the community.
If you have any questions at all contact Jose Cruz.
All sports schedules can be accessed through Section XI
Girls Winter Track
Boys Winter Track
Girls Track & Field
Boys Track & Field